Friday, February 25, 2011

I was run-nin!

Thank you Dana for the title...
Ladies, lace up your running shoes!


I'm determined to go to the beach looking some-what fit this year. We have a pool membership for the summer and have already paid for a whole week at the beach so I'm not going to waste it on baggy cover-ups and skirted bottoms and sucking in. Sorry- I refuse.


So I've started running and I'm really proud of how far I've come since Little Luke's welcome to the world cracked that pesky rib a few months back...
Now, I know you must be thinking "Meredith is the clutziest person on the world..." and yes, I am.




I am afraid my form on the treadmill isn't the best.


Picture: pant legs flapping, tripping me up, shoe laces constantly coming untied (even from a DOUBLE KNOT!), hair falling out of pony tail and me constantly hitting the ear phone cord that connects my iphone resting on the treadmill to my ears and having to catch my friendly electronic device in mid-air about 3 times during my routine.


So I need some tips from my fellow runners...
Here is my workout for this past week:

Warm up for 5 min.
Walk to .4 miles at a faster than brisk pace
Run .6 miles
Walk .4
Run .6
Walk .4
Run .6

Total: 3 miles, walked 1.2, Ran, 1.8


By the time I get to the end of my .6 segments, I'm so out of breath that I can't get a deep breath. Do you know that feeling? My body can keep going but my lungs can't keep up and that's what's stopping me. The next few days, my body isn't that sore, which tells me I'm strong enough to move forward, but my poor lungs can't keep up. And no, I've never smoked. Any suggestions?


In addition, my Iphone is loaded with a mix of songs that keep me wanting to dance rather than run, but they keep my spirits up and keep me pushing forward (standing still really due to the treadmill):



Taio Cruz "Rock Star" and "Dynamite"

Nelly "EI" and "Ride wit' me"

TI

Chris Brown (I know... sorry)

Katy Perry

Beyonce "Single Ladies" (I'm not single (duh), but I love to wave my hand in the air when she says "if you like it then you shoulda' put a ring on it..." The people in the gym must think I'm crazy)


***Side note- YouTube "Shane Mercado dancing to all the single ladies"- HE IS GOOD! He's been on morning shows b/c he "outdanced" Beyonce' LOOK OUT! It'll make you laugh! I wish I could dance like that- but that's a dream that will NEVER come true... ahhh, memories of Anne's blog about the 41 week pregnant girl who "walked it out..." PLEASE WATCH BOTH VIDEOS! Anyway, here is Shane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Rjc7HSt0E&sns=em

And I can't pass up Alicia Keys "Empire State of Mind" for my warm up.


But, the mix is getting a little repetitive. Any other suggestions?


For any of you health nuts out there, I read that if you work out a mere 8 minutes in the morning, you will double your metabolism for the day!


I guess if all else fails, I can always get one of those t-shirt cover-ups that make you look skinny...

Happy Running!

4 comments:

Ashlee said...

I am seriously laughing our loud right now! When you wrote about being clumsy, all I could think about is the first friday parade when you slipped...:) This is a hilarious post! That's awesome your running...I've thought about it as I slowly build my cardio, but haven't gotten the courage or motivation to do it yet. Sounds like you are on a good roll...miss ya! Good Luck!

Shannon said...

Do you know that my first memory of you was on First Friday of your senior year when you injured your wrist? Wasn't that the result of a clumsy incident? That was you right...? :)

The View from Up Here said...

Ohhhhhh yes, that was most definatley clumsy me with the broken wrist...two weeks prior to my bridal portrait. :) We won't discuss the actual source of that fall, overall clumsiness is plenty of an explanation. Thanks for the reminder guys- it made me giggle!

Kristen said...

You are so funny but so inspirational! You make my day everyday! I love to hear your stories and all that goes in the family! Love you!
Kristen