Thursday, January 29, 2009

Getting the "run" around...

So yesterday was frustrating. Our pediatrician said to call them if EGU wasn't walking at 18 months. So, we waited a month, hoping with all of our might, that she would walk by 19 months. This is the child who, for sure, would be walking as a flower girl by Aunt Kimi's wedding, last October! Sorry Kimi.
She has made a lot of progress but isn't quite willing to let go. Chris and I are fine with her development and we aren't pushing her too much, but we do walk everywhere we go, either with the one or two finger hold. She's very adventurous and I know it'll happen soon. She climbs down off the couch, wants to jump off of the bed, climbs up on every chair and stool she can find and takes quite a few spills along the way! (we had another one last night!)
Anyway, being told that 18 months was the deadline was really bothering me, so I called. Basically, I feel like we've been brushed to the side. After getting the run around with one nurse, an appointment scheduling person, another nurse, and back to the first nurse I spoke with, they said that the doctor wanted to wait until her next vist.... at 21 months. So we now have to wait two more months to talk to a doctor who told us to talk to her last month!?! I feel very strongly that nothing is wrong but why give us that time frame if you aren't going to do anything about it? I'm not worried about her, Chris isn't worried about her and everything else seems to be normal or above normal (especially that talking! Jamie says Evelyn speaks in Martian! I think that's what we'll call it too- Martian talk!) Please don't get me wrong- we are in no way disappointed in our child. I know by the time she's five, you'll never know she was a late walker. I just hope it happens before she's two!
In the mean time, I think we may start some potty training here soon! Keep checking in for that progress!
Oh, and here is a picture from Christmas. It's kind of funny- you start with a walker and end up with a walker! Dad- we love you! But it's cute that you and your grand child are both on walkers! :)

1 comment:

Casey said...

Aren't doctors frustrating at times?!? I don't understand why they told you to call and then when you do- act like you're crazy. Have you done any research online?